So you’ve been stuck with a health insurance plan, perhaps from your employer, or from scrambling to get the best possible deal during open enrollment. But now you’re realizing that it’s not living up to its competitors.

You’re probably asking yourself, and most likely Google, “Can I change my health insurance mid-year?

You do have a few options, but they are slim so you may be stuck with your current health insurance plan until the next open enrollment period. However, you may qualify for what’s known as a “special enrollment period.”

Eligibility for special enrollment depends on if you’ve recently experienced one of the following “life events.”

Changes in household

If you or anyone in your home in the past 60 days have:

  • Gotten Married: If you choose a plan by the final day of the month, your coverage can start the beginning the following month!
  • Have had or adopted a child, or have placed a child in foster care: Coverage can on start the day of the event, even if you register in the plan later. You have 60 days to enroll.
  • Gotten divorced or have legally separated: If you still have health insurance, and have not lost it in the separation, you are not qualified for a special enrollment period.
  • Someone has died: If you’re no longer eligible for your current health plan due to someone passing that was apart of your Marketplace plan, you qualify.

Changes in residence

If one of the following moves has happened, you’ll qualify:

  • Moved to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
  • Moving to the U.S. from another country or the United States territory
  • If you’re a student, moving to/from your school
  • As a seasonal worker moving to/from the place you live and work
  • Moving to/from a shelter or transitional housing

Please note: If you want to change your health insurance mid-year, you will need to prove that you had qualifying health coverage for one or more days during the 60 days before your move. However, you don’t need to give proof if you’re moving from a foreign country or the United States territory. Relocating for medical procedures or vacation does not qualify you for the Special Enrollment Period.

Loss of health insurance

Coverage losses in the past 60 days, or future 60 days that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

  • Losing coverage from a job
  • Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you purchased
  • Losing qualification for Medicaid or CHIP
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare
  • Losing coverage you obtained from a family member

Other life events that can qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

  • Changes unqualify you for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Obtaining membership in a federally acknowledged tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
  • Becoming newly eligible for Marketplace coverage when you become a U.S. citizen
  • Were recently released from incarceration
  • Starting or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member

So, as you can see, there are many ways that you will be able to switch health insurance programs mid-year, but there are stringent stipulations as to when you can qualify to do so. To learn about how you can better protect yourself before the next Open Enrollment Period, give us a call at 1-844-903-3849. One of our licensed professionals will be happy to find the type of insurance coverage you need and make it easy to get your hands on competitive pricing!